Homeowners across the country understand that while owning a home is a fantastic experience, there is a great deal of work that goes along with it. Owning a home means taking on all of the responsibilities that go with it, from mowing the lawn to getting the heating system checked every fall. In a word, homeownership means maintenance. If a home is not maintained properly, its value will decrease incredibly. In dramatic instances, homes may even become unfit for living in if they are not taken care of the right way. Nearly every person has driven by a home at one time or another that is sitting vacant because it was never taken care of properly.
One of the most important aspects of maintaining a home are the carpets. Carpet helps to make a home what it is by providing a soft surface to walk on and by helping insulate the home from extreme temperatures. Unfortunately, since they are constantly walked on they tend to be the blunt of the most use in the home. If carpets aren’t taken care of properly, they have to replaced, which can cost thousands of dollars. When homes are being sold, a bad, dirty carpet can be the difference between tens of thousands of dollars. All of this because of something that could have prevented in the first place. Here are the top ten tips for effective carpet cleaning. As long as these tips are taken to heart, no one will ever have to worry about a dirty, old, smelly carpet.
1. Take your shoes off at the door. To keep carpets clean and extend their lifetime, all shoes should be removed before entering the home.
2. Put rugs at all entrances. Placing rugs at entrances encourages people to wipe mud, dirt, and water off of their feet before entering.
3. Utilize rugs in heavy traffic areas. Even inside the home, it is a great idea to place rugs at high traffic areas. They’ll soak up much of the dirt and keep the carpet underneath in great condition.
4. Use protectant. Carpet protectants work to keep the carpet from accumulating dirt and debris.
5. Brush pets. Doing this will greatly reduce the amount of hair that they track into the home and will remove dirt from their coats.
6. Get stains quickly. As soon as something is spilled it should be cleaned up.
7. Use the right equipment. Using the proper vacuum, carpet cleaners, stain removers, and carpet shampooers is a must.
8. Utilize carbonation. This will break up dirt and stains so that they are easy to pick up.
9. Hire professionals. It is not vital to hire professionals to clean your carpet every time, but you should have them come by two to three times each year. The equipment they use (i.e. steam cleaners and carbonation products) will get deep dirt and restore their original integrity. A great carpet cleaner in Denver, All Pro Chem-Dry, is always a great choice for these types of cleanings.
10. Vacuum three times a week. Vacuum quickly three times a week to keep dirt from getting deep into the carpet.